2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
4 ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 8 inch round pans. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in the bananas. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Stir in chopped walnuts. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and place on a damp tea towel to cool.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2-4 tablespoons milk or half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can use mint extract, too, if you’d rather)
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add three cups sugar, cocoa, 4 tablespoons milk, and vanilla extract.
- Beat until combined and fluffy.
- Adjust with more sugar or milk, depending on what consistency you’re looking for.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.