- 2 cups water
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped, dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped, dried apricots
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 shallots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 TB fresh tarragon
- 2 TB chopped, fresh chives
1. Cook rice according to box directions, once water is absorbed, add cherries, apricots and cinnamon to rice and fluff gently. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
2. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add chicken, cook for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, shallots and celery and continue to cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft and chicken is cooked through.
3. Add walnuts, tarragon, and 1 TB chives. Season with salt to taste.
4. Add rice to skillet and stir to combine and heat through. Divide mixture among 4 warm plates and sprinkle with remaining chives.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information: 1 serving:
480 calories, 11 g total fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 19 g protein
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.