Heater Blamed for Gallatin Town Square Fire

Published 03/06 2014 03:55PM

Updated 03/06 2014 09:55PM

(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Fire officials in Gallatin have spent nearly 24 hours straight sifting through the rubble of two buildings that burned Wednesday.
 
They now believe a suspended heating unit started the fire. Fire Chief Doug Hamilton said components that feed the natural gas failed.

Seventy-five firefighters from 13 different agencies were called to fight the fire on the Gallatin town square. It took nearly three hours.

One building was a total loss. Another suffered extensive damage and several others on the block had smoke and water damage.

The total damage is estimated at $300,000.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


.