I-29 Accident Creates Six Mile Back-Up and 3-Hour Delay

By Alan Van Zandt | avanzandt@kq2.com

Published 07/02 2014 10:54PM

Updated 07/02 2014 11:34PM

(PLATTE COUNTY, Mo.)  The accident that killed one man and seriously injured another after a high-speed car chase on Interstate 29 Wednesday afternoon created quite the traffic jam.

One lane of northbound traffic was closed while both lanes of southbound I-29 was totally blocked north of Platte City.

The result was a more than six mile long back-up for those heading south to Kansas City and points beyond.

"We were heading to Worlds of Fun," said Bobi Mayfield of Omaha, who had made a special trip to Missouri with her family for the day. "I don't know if we're going to get there."

Parked on the interstate just two cars behind the Mayfield's was the Jefferson family, also from Omaha. They were also headed to Kansas City for a different event

"It is frustrating when you have a destination that you want to get to," said Wanda Jefferson. Her husband sat patiently in the passenger seat while her two children were playing video games in the back seat.

"I have my Kindle here with me. It's about to die, though," said Jefferson's son Nathan.

At mile marker 23.4, the traffic stoppage gave some the chance to get out of their vehicles and talk with others, trying to find out what was going on ahead that had stopped traffic.

Many were happy that it was an unseasonably cool July afternoon.

"I was afraid it was going to start pouring down rain," said Tim Donegan, sitting on his parked motorcycle, waiting to continue his 90 minute trip home to Louisburg, Kansas from his job in St. Joseph. "Then I was going to consider skipping cars, here, being on the motorcycle and all."

Others were not as patient and turned around on the interstate to head back the opposite direction.

But for the Ortbahn's, who were traveling from Pierre, South Dakota to Rogers, Arkansas, it was a fun day.

"We saw a lady in front of us change a diaper and feed her kid. A lot of interesting things on this trip," said Nolan Ortbahn.

Traffic would eventually crawl forward, but 45 minutes later led to only two-tenths of a mile progress.

It was up to an extra three to four hours added to some traveler's trips. Southbound traffic didn't open up until about 5:30 Wednesday afternoon.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.