Man Reunited with 'Guardian Angel' Following Medical Emergency

By Jonathan Cooper |

Published 02/05 2014 06:13PM

Updated 02/06 2014 10:45AM

(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Two men connected by their past met Wednesday in a reunion they never expected.

It all started Sunday, when James Pierce was driving along Interstate 229 in St. Joseph. He remembers a little, but not much.

"All I remember is somebody pulled up beside me asking if I was okay and the next thing I know I'm waking up in the hospital," he said.

The driver who pulled up next to Pierce on the highway did so after noticing his truck swerving from side to side.

"When I got up beside the driver, I was honking my horn trying to get his attention, and got nothing," recalls Roger Murphy.

Murphy said Pierce appeared to be "out of it" behind the wheel.

"So, I continued to honk my horn trying to get more attention, and as we continued to drive, he slowed down to approximately 10 or 15 miles per hour," he said.

The trucked slowed enough that Murphy was able to get out of his car, in the middle of the highway, and approach Pierce's truck.

"Couple minutes went by, and at that time, he went into full convulsions. As that happened, he stepped on the gas and accelerated. So, I ran to my vehicle to try to catch him, and as I hit my vehicle to get back inside, he actually slammed on his breaks, thank God, because he was actually heading toward the embankment," said Murphy.

Murphy blocked Pierce's truck with his, and immediately called 911. Emergency crews arrived and took Pierce to the hospital for treatment. But, it all happened so fast that he never met the man who saved his life that day.

On Monday, Pierce's family reached out to KQ2 in an effort to find that good Samaritan. After Pierce's story aired on KQ2 News at 6 Wednesday, Murphy came forward, saying not only did he help Pierce, but he knew the man very well. Murphy and Pierce worked together a few years ago.

We helped reconnect the two Wednesday night.

"Man, it's such a surprise to see you," said Pierce. "I'm full of emotions right now."

Pierce was speechless after talking to Murphy on the phone. He said he was grateful to be connected with his guardian angel.

"My wife's still got me, my kids still got me, and my friend saved my life," said Pierce.

Murphy said he was glad to help and even more relieved that his friend and former coworker was okay.

Doctors are unsure if Pierce suffered a seizure or if low blood sugar caused him to pass out. They'll continue to run tests until they figure out exactly what happened.

Related Story: Local Man Looking for Good Samaritans That Saved His Life

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.