The food bank is more than halfway through their "No Hunger Summer" program.
As of last week, more than 9500 meals have been served to area children 18 years or younger.
With one more month to go the food bank expects to keep up the pace.
"We are on pace to surpass what we did last summer, which last summer we served a little over 20,000 meals. And that was an increase from only about 2,500 meals the year before," said Second Harvest Director of Operations Tamara Grubb.
Serving more than 20,000 meals means serving locations are keeping busy.
"Our numbers at the apartment complexes are growing everyday. We have about 100 kids at Oakridge, about 100 kids at Brittany Village," said Second Harvest Director of Programs Christine Feuerbacher.
"In our area one in five kids is deemed food insecure," said Grubb. "So that means one out of every five kids that you see on the street in St. Joseph doesn't know if they're going to have a meal tonight."
"No Hunger Summer" is funded by the USDA's Summer Food Service Program.
The program continues until August 15.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.