Chiefs Get First Win, 27-24 in Overtime

Published 09/24 2012 11:34AM

Updated 09/24 2012 11:37AM

(NEW ORLEANS) It was a do-or-die atmosphere in the 'Big Easy' Sunday.

The Chiefs and Saints were both trying to avoid beginning the 2012 season 0-3, or face the long week of questioning that would follow.

The Chiefs (1-2) erased a 24-6 deficit to defeat the Saints in overtime, 27-24.

Drew Brees opened things with a nine-yard touchdown pass to Lance Moore with 12:18 left in the first.

Ryan Succop responded with the beginning of his career day. He knocked through a 25-yard field goal, cutting the deficit to 7-3.

The teams traded another pair of field goals, Garret Hartley from 40 yards and Succop from 45, to carry a 10-6 Saints (0-3) lead into halftime.

In the third, Drew Brees led the Saints to another pair of scores. The first came less than two minutes in as he found Jimmy Graham on a one-yard strike.

Then, he found his third scoring target of the day, Jed Collins, on a six-yard completion.

It looked as though it would be another steep loss for Kansas City, trailing 24-6 with 5:36 left in the third.

However, Jamaal Charles fueled a comeback by showing the pro bowl talent he possesses.

On the next drive, he broke loose for 91-yard run and the Chiefs' lone touchdown of the game. It was mark as the long run in team history.

Ryan Succop brough the team to within five with two more field goals from distances of 34 and 38 yards.

After another unnsuccessful offensive series for Kansas City, punter Dustin Colquitt pinned the Saints inside their own five-yard line. There, defensive end Justin Houston caught Brees in the end zone, giving the Chiefs two points and possession of the ball.

With 5:33 left, the Chiefs offense ate up the remaining time in regulation, putting Succop in position to boot the game-tying, 48-yard field goal to send the game to overtime.

Kansas City won the toss and took possession, but failed to score on the first drive of the game. This envoked the sudden death situation, where the first score finished the game.

The defense forced New Orleans to go three-and-out, allowing the offense to march 41 yards in 10 plays.

Succop finished things out by kicking his franchise-record sixth field goal of the game, this time from 31 yards, to give the Chiefs their first win.

Charles fueled much of the comeback effort, finishing with 233 yards on 33 carries.

Quarterback Matt Cassel completed 26-of-44 for 248 yards and one interception.

The Chiefs return to Kansas City next Sunday to host AFC West opponent, San Diego. 

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.