Northwest Rushes into National Semifinal

Published 12/07 2013 04:40PM

Updated 12/11 2013 10:03PM

(MARYVILLE, Mo.) No. 1 Northwest Missouri State rushed for seven touchdowns Saturday afternoon on the way to a 59-21 win over No. 6 St. Cloud State in the NCAA Division II National Quarterfinals.

The Bearcats (13-0) advance to the semifinals against Grand Vally State. The Lakers beat West Texas A&M 35-28 to advance to next Saturday's contest.

Redshirt freshman Phil Jackson tied a Northwest postseason single-game record with four rushing touchdowns. Jackson now shares the mark with former Bearcat running backs Xavier Omon and LaRon Council.

Senior Billy Creason matched a career-high scoring three times on the ground against the Huskies. Creason finished with 99 rushing yards, while Jackson racked up 117.

Northwest threatened on the first drive of the game making it to the St. Cloud 15-yard line, but turned the ball over on a Robert Burton fumble.

The Huskies, led by Harlon Hill Trophy candidate Phillip Klaphake, quickly gave it back to the Bearcats on a three-and-out. Northwest took over from that point.

Creason scored the first two touchdowns for the Bearcats to take a 14-0 lead in the second quarter. Jackson rushed in twice in the second quarter to give Northwest a 28-0 halftime lead.

St. Cloud State showed life on the first drive of the second half marching 75 yards in 12 plays, capped off by a 17-yard touchdown pass from Klaphake to Dan Brown.

Northwest swung the momentum back on the next play.

Bryce Enyard returned the ensuing kickoff 85 yards into the end zone to extend the lead back to 28 points.

The Bearcats finished with 541 total yards -- 296 of them on the ground.

Klaphake finished the game 11-28 for 169 yards and a touchdown. He was sacked three times in the contest.

Northwest starting quarterback Trevor Adams was an efficient 18-21 for 212 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions.

Backup quarterback Brady Bolles left the game late in the second quarter with what head coach Adam Dorrel believed was a shoulder injury. Bolles picked up eight yards on a first down carry before getting upended at the St. Cloud eight-yard line. Bolles was helped off the field and didn't return.

Next Saturday's matchup with Grand Valley State will be Northwest's first meeting since the 2009 national championship game. The Bearcats won it 30-23.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.