- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound dry sea scallops, tough muscle removed
- 1/4 freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and curry powder and cook, stirring, until the shallot is beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add cider and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to boil and cook until reduced to ¾ cup, about 4 minutes. Pour into a large bowl and whisk in 2 teaspoons oil and vinegar. Reserve ¼ cup dressing in a small bowl. Wipe out the pan.
2. Pat shallots dry and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add scallops and cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
3. Add salad greens, apple, cranberries and almonds to the large bowl; toss to coat. Top with scallops and drizzle with reserved ¼ cup dressing.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information: 291 calories, 11 g total, 37 mg cholesterol, 483 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein