- 1 small onion
- 4 cups butternut squash
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (or ½ tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (or lean ground beef/chicken)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (or ketchup)
- 2 TB mustard
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/4 cup light cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1. Cook onions, squash, and seasoning together in a large non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Turn heat to medium high, add 1 cup water. Cook onions and squash, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent, squash is softened, and water is cooked off. Put squash and onions in a blender with chicken broth, milk and yogurt and blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. Using same skillet, add meat of choice and tomato paste (or ketchup) and mustard. Cook over medium high heat until meat is browned.
3. Turn heat to low; add tomatoes, parmesan, and cheddar. Stir until cheese is melted, and turn off heat.
4. Pour turkey mixture into a large serving bowl and pour the squash mixture from blender into bowl. Stir to combine and serve!
Yield: 8 servings (1 cup)
Nutritional Information: 170 calories, 4 g fat, 17.5 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein
Recipe Source: www.dashingdish.com