2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
4 ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 8 inch round pans. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in the bananas. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Stir in chopped walnuts. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and place on a damp tea towel to cool.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2-4 tablespoons milk or half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can use mint extract, too, if you’d rather)
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add three cups sugar, cocoa, 4 tablespoons milk, and vanilla extract.
- Beat until combined and fluffy.
- Adjust with more sugar or milk, depending on what consistency you’re looking for.