76°F
Sponsored by

Two Years Later: Family Copes With Fire that Killed Four

It's been two years since four lives were cut short by a fire sparked by a space heater in St. Joseph. However, time has yet to heal the wounds for a grieving family.
(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) It's been two years since four lives were cut short by a fire sparked by a space heater in St. Joseph.

However, time has yet to heal the wounds for a grieving family.

The fire that happened at 10th and Hickory streets on February 8th, 2010 killed four of the six people inside: Janice Helton, 59, Brittany Ball ,14, and a two and four month old infant.

On the two year anniversary the family is lighting candles and placing statues at Ashland Cemetery in St. Joseph.

Loved ones told KQ2 the grave sites are still a work in progress.

As the family recovers from the financial loss of their home, they are still struggling to come up with the funds for four headstones.

This fire remains on of the deadliest St. Joseph has seen in years.

It quickly gutted the house from the basement to the attic, fueled by old insulation, wood, and siding.

Firefighters are amazed that anyone made it out alive.

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Local News