Missouri Gas Energy warns customers that scam artists are sending fake bills in an attempt to defraud customers.
Some MGE customers have received statements that appear to be from a different utility provider. The email includes links for payment and false account information.
"Sadly, scammers try these techniques on natural gas customers during the cold winter months. If you are concerned about a suspicious email, phone call or any contact from someone claiming to be an MGE representative, call MGE immediately," said Ron Crow, vice president, customer experience.
MGE offered the following tips for customers to prevent falling victim to such a scam:
· If you have any questions about your MGE bill, please contact our customer service line directly at 816-756-5252 or 800-582-1234.
· If you receive a call claiming to be MGE and you feel pressured or unsure if the person is a MGE employee, hang up and call our customer service line directly.
· Never provide your social security number, credit card, debit card or bank account information to anyone who calls, texts or sends an email requesting such information.
· All MGE field employees drive marked vehicles, wear MGE uniforms and carry an ID badge. On occasion, work being performed for MGE is done by contractors. However, they also have MGE identification in addition to their personal identification.
· If a customer is unsure if the person at their door is a MGE employee, we encourage them to call the MGE Customer Care team at 816-756-5252 or 800-582-1234 to verify if a service technician is on their premise.