Missouri Western Resident Assistants Learn Fire Safety

Missouri Western Resident Assistants Learn Fire Safety

Resident Assistants, at Missouri Western, learn about fire safety in the dorms.
(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The St. Joseph Fire Department provided a two-hour fire safety training, to more than 40 resident and grad hall assistants, from Missouri Western Friday.

"Today, we were looking at issues of smoke in the dorms, fires on the stoves, how to use a fire extinguisher, when to evacuate, and how to evaluate a fire," said Craig Darrough.

There hasn't been a fire at the university since February of 2006, but the training is necessary to make sure the resident assistants can inform their residents on fire safety precautions.

"It's good for us to know that way we can tell them we know how to handle these situations. Don't try to be a hero, we've had the training. We'll keep you safe, it's our job," said Daniel Brooks.

An A-B-C fire extinguisher can be found in all the dorms. It weighs about 10 pounds, and works for all types of small fires.

"Type A fires leaves ash. Things that, a liquid or usually in barrels or buckets, type B. Or type C, for electricity, might be current or circuit," said Darrough.

Resident assistants want their residents to know, even though extinguishers are available, they should not be abused.

"They're not a joke, they're not a toy. And they're very simple to use if the event that there is an emergency," said Amy McLarren.

If a resident is not comfortable putting out a fire, they should call 911 immediately.

Residents are asked to leave items such as, candles, grills, hot plates and anything flammable, at home.

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus