62°F
Sponsored by

Troy Fire Reminds Dangers of Space Heaters

An overnight fire in Troy, Kan. started by a space heater reminds homeowners to be careful this time of year.
(Troy, Kan.) An overnight fire west of Troy, started by a space heater, reminds homeowners to be careful this time of year.

Firefighters responded to a call around 1:40 a.m. of a house fire.

The man inside awoke to a fire started by his space heater.

Firefighters said he is lucky because he did not have a working smoke alarm.

James Birchfield is a Bentonville, Ark. fire marshal and sees space heater fires this time of year.

"You just need to make sure they have a ground prong, that when you tip them over, they turn off," he said.

Birchfield also said it's important to keep the space heater away from combustible materials.

Firefighters in Troy are still investigating why the man's space heater caught fire.

The Red Cross is working with him.

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Local News