Firefighters responded to a call around 1:40 a.m. of a house fire.
The man inside awoke to a fire started by his space heater.
Firefighters said he is lucky because he did not have a working smoke alarm.
James Birchfield is a Bentonville, Ark. fire marshal and sees space heater fires this time of year.
"You just need to make sure they have a ground prong, that when you tip them over, they turn off," he said.
Birchfield also said it's important to keep the space heater away from combustible materials.
Firefighters in Troy are still investigating why the man's space heater caught fire.
The Red Cross is working with him.